Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Hickman right atrial catheter

I require a central venous catheter for treatment. It will allow ready access for multiple infusions of drugs, blood, platelets, etc., as well as the removal of blood samples for cell counts and chemical tests.

Today, I had surgery (under general anesthesia) to insert a Hickman right atrial catheter into my pulmonary vein in my upper chest. I call it "Mr Hickman". Stitches were needed to anchor Mr Hickman to my body. Ouch. I can see 2 tubes, each several inches long, attached with connectors, caps and clamps hanging from my chest. If I see Mr Hickman when Mummy undresses me, I will cry.

Mr Hickman has to be very well cared for because there are the potential risks of blockage and infection. Also, Mummy has to make sure he is taped up securely all the time so that I don't pull him out. (I love to pick things up and throw them ... I hope I will remember to leave Mr Hickman alone.) I don't like Mr Hickman. I can't enjoy my baths any more because Mr Hickman can't get wet. My doctor says Mr Hickman will have to be around for 2 years if all goes well with treatment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home