Treatment
My doctor says I will need 4-6 intensive sessions of chemotherapy over the next 6 months. Each session is 7-10 days long. I will have to stay in hospital all the time and won't be able to venture out of my bed. I will really dislike it because I like to be out and about exploring the surroundings. Argh ... the only comforting thoughts are that Mummy & Daddy will be with me most of the time and the doctors and nurses at the Paediatrics Inpatient Cancer Centre (PICC) are very nice to me (they play with me and sing nursery rhymes). But I don't like them when they try to poke needles into my body and hook me up with tubes - I cried more in the last week than all of my first year put together. When I had Mr Hickman inserted, the Sister at PICC surprised me with a big Elmo balloon and one of the doctors pasted Pooh Bear stickers on my dressing.
I will not be able to have visitors or come into contact with people unnecessarily during this period. Daddy and Mummy will also have to minimise contact with others. I will be extremely weak and vulnerable after each chemo session. The week following chemo is most critical for me. I cannot afford to risk even a simple infection, which can be deadly to me.
I am supposed to begin treatment sometime next week. During this time, if you would like to know the progress of my treatment, please visit my blog page. I will try to update it every few days when I get the chance to.
I hope I will respond well to chemotherapy and that the cancer will be in complete remission so I do not need a bone marrow transplant. I am also hoping that I will not get a relapse so that I can be cured of cancer. I want to be able to live a normal life like the rest of the general population. Wish me luck.


5 Comments:
Ian, we all know it will be hard for you and your parents the next 6 months. We wish you the best and always think about you. We wish the treatment cures you so that you do not need any bone marrow. We believe it works - why not for somebody lovely like you?
Keep smiling :)
Yoshiko
4:45 pm
Hi Ian,
Thanks for setting up the blog so we can keep up to date with what's going on for you. It sounds like you're in for a rough ride buddy, but knowing your parents we're betting (and hoping) that you're going to make it through.
Good luck, and see you soon.
John & Lynne
5:29 pm
Hi Ian & family,
We'll be reading this and supporting you all the way, and hoping for the best. You can do it!
Good luck,
Aaron & Yuka
5:45 pm
Dearest Ian,
You have my thoughts and best wishes everyday, you know that? We're here behind you all the way, so keep going!
Thank you for blogging, we're really glad to be able to hear from you cos we miss you loads.
Take care, may the angels be with you :) & we'll see you soon!
with love & light,
aunty sharon
grand-aunt Annie
uncle Edwin
8:08 pm
Hi Ian,
Our love and prayers are with you, muumy, daddy and the rest of the family. We know you'll pull through..stay strong little one!
We hope to see you very soon.
Love,
Jamey and Davina
2:14 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home