Thursday, April 28, 2005

First chemo

My doctor rang this morning to say I am to be admitted today to begin chemotherapy. My first dose of chemotherapy involved an Intra Thecal (IT) to protect my brain from leukemia cells. It has to be administered through my spinal canal by injection. (Ouch!) The doctor and nurses tried their best to get me to sleep (sedated me twice) but I was too alert ... I had woken up from my 2-hour morning nap a minute before they entered the room! I had my eyes wide open during the entire procedure and Mummy and Daddy had to keep me very still. For IT to be effective, I had to lie on my back for at least 4 hours. It was really boring staring up at the ceiling.

I was also rather hungry cos I had to fast for the IT procedure - no food or drink for at least 4 hours. I had 120ml of milk at 8am and didn't eat again until 6.30pm as I was feeling very groggy. In the meantime, I was given 4 bags of platelets, a cocktail of powerful drugs, as well as a hydrating drip. I had so many tubes going into Mr Hickman that they got tangled up and the machines went "beep" and had to be reset heaps. The drugs will be administered for 20 hours, after which I will be given a 4-hour break. Then it starts all over again. I think I'd better rest now. Goodnight.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Ian!
Let's hope it is not very painful!
Your mummy and daddy are with you sharing the feelings you are going through.
We are keeping our fingers crossed for you.
keep smiling :)
yoshiko

3:40 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey boy.. how's the treatment? i hope you won't have to suffer much of the after effects. you still need the platelets? hope the hospital call me soon..
jun~~

6:09 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be strong young Mohammed Ali.
My O+ blood is available when ever you need it, all you have to do is drop me a line and I'll be there direct from Japan. Lots of love and best wishes from JAY and Tomomi.

9:06 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best Ian!
I sure hope that everything goes well for you and that you have a speedy recovery.
Best wishes,
DN.

9:23 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

nice to see that your mommy and daddy has started this blog for your friends and loved ones to keep in touch with you... :)

Glad to be part of this journey with you.. hang on there little one.. will be here to support you!

And yep, love your smile! Keep smiling... :)

1:53 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi baby ian, my cutest little cousin. I always think about you and will always keep you in my prayers.
I am very lucky to have a cousin as cute as you. Your parents are very very lucky to have you as there baby boy. Keep srong and tough. I never forget the times we have had , like when i was in Singapore playing with you and your toys I will always remember those. I love you sooooo much even though your still young i am looking forward to seeing you another time.
i love you Ian and your always my favourite cousin thats a boy. tata love from your cousin micaela

4:36 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby Ian is a very strong boy with de most beautiful smile.Well upon spiking up the very 1st bag of your chemo, i prayed u wudnt need to face the side effects. u r doing very well dear,you were able to tolerate the chemotherapy.The only favour you can do for me is: be a good boy listen to mummy-do regular mouth care and sitz bath.see you tomorrow ;)

9:47 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep going Ian - you're a strong, handsome little boy! It won't be easy but you have your Mummy and Daddy as well as so many well-wishers with you in prayers. :)

12:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home