First chemo - Day 2
I was a happy baby today ... I was given a bath (I love having baths) after 3 days! It wasn't easy to get me into the bath. With all the tubes still running into Mr Hickman, they had to be covered carefully so I don't get them wet. It was just as well cos I was so excited about having my bath and splashed water everywhere. (The housekeeper had to mop up the excess water on the floor afterwards - hee hee!)
Mr Hickman and I got into trouble today. The nurses tried in vain to draw blood from him. They took turns to flush the lines and tried to draw blood but there wasn't any back flow. After an hour of numerous futile attempts, it was thought that Mr Hickman might have been displaced from the main vein. The paediatric surgeon was paged for and I was taken to the X-ray lab. I must have been the only happy person in the room - the nurses had to carefully disconnect all the tubes feeding into Mr Hickman so I could be detached from those dreaded IV machines. Ahhh ... freedom to move around finally! I got to leave my room in the ward for the first time! It was just wonderful being able to see the playground and trees on my way to the X-ray lab. The short trip to the lab was worth the distress I caused everyone, in my mind! As it turned out, it was a false alarm. My surgeon reckoned I wriggled too much, hence hindering the flow.
Another reason why I was happy today was that eight young and pretty nurses visited me all at once. I am not sure why they all came in at the same time, but they made me happy by fussing over me and giggling when I smiled at them.
Thank you for all the lovely messages posted on my blog page. It's so nice reading them before bedtime. I can have sweet dreams tonight.


6 Comments:
Hi Ian, its nice to hear that you got out for a while and enjoyed the water.We will check your blog page everyday to see how you are going with your treatment. I have just set up a couple of frog tanks and am busy catching flies for them to eat. Wish you were here to see them.
love uncle Michael
7:42 am
Hi Ian, Glad you had a happy day. Keep going and best wishes to your Mummy and Daddy. OR
1:10 pm
Hi Ian and Michelle and Julian,
We really appreciate you taking the time to keep us up to date with your progress. Your stories are interesting and it seems that the beginning of the journey is going well. It is incredible to us that, with all that is going on for you at the moment, you have the time and energy to do this blog. It must a measure of the strength you have which is going to support you through to the end. Ian, we would like to mail something to you but don't know the best address to send it to. Can you let us know? Keep up the good work.
John and Lynne
2:20 pm
hi Ian,
Good you spent a happy day. Hope Mr Hickman behave better. And let's hope the eight young nurses will be your frequent visiters!
keep smiling :)
yoshi&co
2:25 pm
Hi Ian and Mum and Dad
Thanks for your great blog. It's good to know all that is happening and I visit your site every day. I bet you're a big favourite in the hospital. You sure are a big favourite with me!
I'm going to be going overseas soon, and I am going to light a candle for you in every church I visit - that's likely to be a lot!
Kia kaha
Love
Brigitte
2:56 pm
Hi Ian,
Good show my man - nothing like a good bath and a bit of Miffy after. May God bless you always and may He give you much happinness and joy. Keep smiling your gorgeous smile! PG
6:08 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home