First chemo - Day 3
I seem to be tolerating the chemo quite well. My doctor seems happy with my progress so far, although I hear that the most difficult period is the second week following each round of chemo when my white blood cell count can drop dangerously low.
My main problem today was just one of peeing all the time. I need to pee about every 15 minutes. This causes two problems. One is when bathing. I am supposed to sit in a salt water bath (sitz bath) twice a day for at least 20 minutes each time, but after 5 to 10 minutes, I need to go so Daddy has to keep changing the water in the bath - haha! The other problem is that my diapers need to be changed about once every hour or so, otherwise the bed sheets and my clothes will be soiled. Well, what do you expect when I have 3 hydrating drips running simultaneously?! Any suggestions/recommendations for the most ultra absorbent diapers?
One of the pretty nurses gave me a long strip of Mickey Mouse stickers tonight. Hooray, I'm going to have so much fun tomorrow sticking them everywhere - can't wait!
Thank you for your lovely comments. Maybe that's why I was in high spirits again today.


6 Comments:
Hi Mr.Handsome i see your need for a ultra absorbent diapers.Hmm...I am not sure how absorbent is "Pampers" given by the hospital but i know "Huggies" are quite effective.But remember to let nurses know when u change your diaper brand-cos they need to weigh them to monitor your output ;)
Enjoy having fun those stickers i gave you dear...see you soon.Hugs:gaya
9:38 am
Hi Ian, Great to hear that you are being treated like a prince with all your ladies in waiting. Its good that you are keeping your mummy and daddy entertained with your woolworths bladder;-) Keep smiling.
Love Suzanne and James
12:19 pm
Dearest Ian,
We are so happy that you have made some progress. We know you are the strongest boy.
Talk to you later.
Shirley and Jun
2:51 pm
Hi there!
I don't want to intrude, but I've had two kids in hospitals for long periods of time (my oldest was born at 24 weeks weighing just one pound eight ounces, she was in the NICU for 4 months...my youngest had invasive skull reconstruction requiring 3 surgeries, both had long-term IV lines, etc.)
I just wanted to jump in and say that we used a product called diaper doublers (this is the only place I could find it online, I know you're in the UK so I can't recommend a store to pick it up at. http://tinyurl.com/dwzrm ) They go inside a regular diaper and help absorb, so the child can sleep better. They have been a lifesaver for us and our other friends with kids on IVs. I don't know if you're allowed to bring something in to use in hospitals there, but if you are I thought I'd mention it.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts!
3:35 pm
Hi Ian
Well it sounds like the plumbing’s working really well there buddy. And you know what they say about peeing – it flushes out all the toxins so you must be really clean on the inside – as well as on the outside from all those baths you’re having. You must be one of the cleanest young lads around and it’s just as well you like playing with water. Look forward to hearing how tomorrow goes.
John & Lynne
3:44 pm
Hi Ian,
Good to know that the treatment is not giving you a very hard time. Also it's great that the doctor is happy about the progress - why not, you've been doing extremely well for someone who is just over 12 months old! Also we can see you (and mummy + daddy) have so many lovely friends thinking about you and sending messages to you! You know, it is a reflection of how lovely you are :)
Hmmm..., lots of wee eh?
We use 'Treasure Ultra' for Hannah and think they do a pretty good job.
What sorts are available there?
Enjoy your Mickey Mouse stickers!
keep smiling :)
Yoshi and co
4:01 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home