Tuesday, August 23, 2005

BMT: Day minus 13

Just to clarify, since I know quite a few people thought yesterday was my transplant, the only "transplant" I have had was the movement of Mr Hickman (my central line) from one side of my chest to the other. Actually, the old Mr Hickman was removed and a new one was inserted. I was not given a new bone marrow yesterday ... the oncologists only harvested my own for backup.

What I had yesterday was an operation which is part of the preparation for my actual bone marrow transplant. I will need to undergo 10 days of intensive chemotherapy beforehand to ensure that my bone marrow cavity is empty so that when the cord blood is being transfused through my new Mr Hickman (this is the actual bone marrow transplant), I will be able to engraft. My transplant will be on Day 0, which is another 13 days away. Nevertheless, yesterday was an important day since it is considered the start of my BMT journey.

I am feeling a lot better today and my appetite improved tremendously ... it's because I was granted home leave (I have to recover from my viral infection first before the doctors whack my body with heavy duty chemo drugs) so I can be crawling around my mat and throwing my toys everywhere. I'll have to be back in hospital tomorrow night to begin hydration for the chemo which is scheduled to begin on Thursday.

Thanks for all your nice messages of support. I like to think of you all as coming along with me for the journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home