My counts are up
On Tuesday, I had a full blood count test done. The results showed that my neutrophils count was 1.65 and my platelet level above 600! Mummy and Daddy thought the lab had got my results mixed up (my neutrophils count was only 0.02 last Thursday) ... my doctor ordered another test to be done the next day, just to be sure! Well, we got a further surprise. My neutrophils count was 3.18 and my platelet level beyond 700! In other words, I've recovered from round 4 of chemo (it took me 3 weeks this time instead of 4 weeks for round 3) and with no high fever or infection.
As a result, I am now scheduled for the Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) sooner than expected. I am having some oral chemo to keep my counts under control in the meantime, which I can take at home. I have started the pre-BMT "work-up", which includes a battery of blood tests (they drew 2.5 syringes of blood last night), another bone marrow test, bone biopsy and a dental checkup, among other things. I will most likely need to surgically insert a new Mr Hickman since the current Mr Hickman hasn't been working so well of late, and we need "him" to be very cooperative with all the things that will be going in and out of me during the next few months, especially the infusion of the cord blood.
Meanwhile, the "cord" is being tested for disease and if it's clear, my doctor will order it to be air flown from the Australian Cord Blood Bank (held in a special liquid nitrogen tank). Yes, that's right, it looks like my donor will be an Australian. (Don't worry, I will still be supporting the All Blacks ... I have an All Blacks shirt and like chanting "All Blacks ... All Blacks".)
I will write more about what the BMT will involve soon, and about my particular cord once it is confirmed. My doctor says the BMT may begin as soon as 22 August!


5 Comments:
Hi Ian
That's really good news about your counts ... must be thanks to all that porridge.
So Aussie blood, huh? Well those Aussies might not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they sure are strong! We'll just have to keep an eye on you in future to make sure you don't start developing a liking for Aussie Rules and bad beer.
Take care
Aaron
5:14 am
Hi Ian,
Well today is the day of the big game - so please keep chanting "All Blacks, All Blacks"...
12:24 pm
Hi Ian,
this is Simon, Niklas’ little brother. We just returned from our summer vacation in France where I also attended my first wedding. It was a big party and I was awake most of the time, much to the pleasure of my parents.
We have been very busy lately which is why we did not leave any messages in ages. But we closely follow how you are doing and were glad to see that the BMT is coming closer.
We wonder how your parents manage to keep you infection free. My mother has quite clean habits but my dad is a bit messy. He seems to believe that a bit of germs is good training for children with a well working immune system. He sure would have a hard time keeping bacteria and germs away from me if I was sick.
I have read a few weeks ago that your walking skills did not really improve under all the treatment you received. I cannot walk either even though I am not much younger than you are (14 months soon). I lack any balance but am very happy if someone takes me by the hand and let me walk. Basically I think that walking is much overvalued. I get anywhere by crawling along. It does look strange when I crawl since I still drag my dummy along the floor. But I am fast! Lately I figured out how to climb stairs. I even can climb back but that sometimes does not work too well. My parents were not too happy about my newly developed climbing skills. I wonder why.
I hope that the cord is fine and that you stay infection free!
Best,
Simon
4:28 am
Ian
We thought of you last weekend as Jo and me climbed Mt Rolleston in Arthurs Pass.
You've got your own BMT mountain to climb. Just like the snowy ones theres always a bit of anxiety beforehand, a few scares along the way and the best part is making it home safe and relaxing in front of the fire.
Ask your Dad about our first attempt to climb Mt Rolleston as a teenager armed only with a 6 pack of beer - we didn't even know what an iceaxe and crampons were for! I reckon you'll be 1000 times better prepared for your BMT mountain.
Lots of love
Andrew and Jo
5:39 am
Hi Ian,
We are so pleased to hear when things are going well, and get belly aches when things are not so good.
We are shocked and surprised that your father would admit to such shenanigans in your presence!
We love you,
Henrietta and Bernie
9:30 am
Post a Comment
<< Home