Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Heart test

I saw my doctor and the cardiologist today. My platelet and Haemaglobin levels are relatively good so I didn't require transfusions today.

I had to be sedated at the cardiologist so she could perform a 2-D echo and ECG on me. I would be struggling too much with all the leads on my body otherwise! The results of the tests showed that my heart function is normal after the last dose of anthracyclines was administered. Anthracyclines are known to cause cardiomyopathy, although typically, it does not show up for many years down the road. Given my dosage of 300mg/m2 (the limit for my age) so far, I will need life-long testing of my heart. If I was to go for a final round of chemo rather than a BMT, my cumulative anthracycline dosage would have to increase to 550mg/m2, pushing me well into the high risk group. According to the following website http://www.acor.org/ped-onc/survivors/cardio/anthra.html I need to avoid four things in particular during my life - pregnancy, excessive alcohol, cocaine, and weight lifting (or other strenuous exercise). I'm happy to give up these things for a normal life, especially pregnancy!

In the meantime, my favourite book of the week is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". Mummy lets me read it when she is trying to get me to eat. I think there is an important message in the book, but I haven't quite figured it out yet!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Ian...This is Auntie Nurse Kat, hope you are doing well at home and enjoying your readings! Was just wondering if you could pass a message to your mummy for me. Could you ask her to email me the kids' video email addresses again to me? i have searched all over and i think i must've misplaced it :o( Your mummy can email me at kspleong@hotmail.com Thanks Ian! Be good!

11:45 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Ian.. it's me again! Auntie Nurse Kat. Thought you might like to take a look at this web site for some really fun videos to see, so that you can enjoy your next stay with us. http://www.babyeinstein.com/
Take care!

12:22 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

I have the very hungry caterpillar too. Like you I like it when somebody reads it to me too. All those pages with holes in are quite funny but they are just the right size for my finger! Maybe next time I am in Singapore YOU can read it to me?
Mummy has heard that she hasn't got the job in Singapore - she will find out tomorrow where she will be sent next year.

Bisous,

Emma

5:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home