My donor's cord blood has arrived!
According to my doctors, the selected Australian cord blood is a 6/6 HLA match at high resolution with good cell doses. I am not sure what that all means, but it sounds impressive. In fact, my transplant doctor says this is the first time (for the hospital) that such a good cord match has been found. That is just as well, since she also said that I have one of the stronger bone marrows they have come across, so it may still not be easy for the donor's cord to engraft. This is good in a way, since a small battle will help - any rouge leukaemia cells may get killed off in the cross-fire. A big battle will be a problem.
My cord blood was procured from the Australian Cord Blood Bank and my donor is an Eurasian male. He is now 5 years old and is well. The cord has passed all the Infectious Disease testings and it arrived safely today from Sydney, stored in liquid nitrogen at minus 180 degrees Celcius. I'm glad it didn't thaw or spill out (it has happened before)!
My donor's blood group is B+ and mine is O+, so at some point in time, my blood type will slowly change to become B+! It's amazing how the body works ... eventually I may need a new list of platelet donors.
I got the results of my bone marrow tests today. They indicate that I am still in complete remission. That is great news.
On Monday, the doctors will harvest my own bone marrow which will then be kept at minus 180 degrees for a couple of years as a backup should anything go wrong. I hope I never have to use it. On Monday, they will also remove Mr Hickman from my right side and inplant a new Mr Hickman into my left side. These procedures will be done under general anaethesia.
I received two new books yesterday from someone at Daddy's work. Thank you so much for the lovely surprise. One is a MatchSpin book which has lots of cool patterns and puzzles to match and spin, and the other is a pop-up Barney book. I was going to save them up for the start of my BMT next week, but I couldn't wait any longer and have been reading them already.


5 Comments:
Hi Ian, I'm B+ blood type, so when it changes you will belong to a really good blood group! Liquid nitrogen is fascinating stuff. I use some most days. One of my favourite tricks when I am done is to "spill" what I dont need and watch it skate across the floor picking up all the dirt as it goes. You probably will not be able to do this because your floor should be clean enough to eat off! Good luck with your up coming battle, make sure you show those nasty leukaemia cells who is boss.
Go Ian...
Love S+J
3:47 am
Hi Ian
That's great news about the cord blood and the continuing complete remission!
I'm O+ so a bit sad to lose you from this great group. But my wife is B+ so can't be all that bad.
Have a restful weekend before the operation on Monday ... let's hope Mr. Hickman II is more well behaved than his predecessor!
Aaron
4:03 pm
Dearest Ian
Glad to hear the chain of good news! You know, the first-class shape that you are in against those nasty cells is really something that would certainly do the entire human population proud. All thanks to the (wondrous) perfection and loving efforts of your mommy & daddy & family. You guys have done so superbly well I am truly awed. I really admire your cool strength. I must say this, I think you are such a strong and charming boy. Your charming smile melts my heart and your lovely eyes have enraptured mine.. keep shining..
Lovingly,
Your Secret Admirer
11:31 pm
Ian, Say hello to HickmanII and make sure that he behaves. Tell the doctors to do a good job with the BMT. This is a big week and we are rooting for you and successful procedures.
Much love, H & B
10:34 am
Hi Ian
Welcome (eventually) to the B+ group - a great group to be in. I am B+ but Sara is O+.
Great to hear that you have made such rapid progress that the scheduled transplant has been brought ahead. Keep up the wonderful progress!
We'll be 'neighbours' in June 2006, as Sara will start her job in Manila then. You'll have to come and visit us!
Love A, S & E (who will be two at the end of this month!)
5:48 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home