Monday, August 01, 2005

I've been transfused

It's amazing how fast my counts have dropped this round ... after staying high for a week they plummeted today (neutrophils at 0.06; platelets only 8, a far cry from the 600 they were a couple of weeks back; Haemoglobin almost half the normal range), so I had to spend the day at the hospital getting platelet and Hb transfusions.

My temperature has been on the high side lately and everyone is keeping their fingers crossed I don't get any infection. Meanwhile, I don't have much of an appetite and Mummy is concerned that I am not putting on enough weight before the BMT. And I've been going to sleep at around 2am in the morning again lately. Still, after the new blood and platelets, I feel happy! Thanks, donors.

Granddad said my 101 year-old great grandmother fell into the hedge recently while trying to pick up the ball the dog was chasing. Thank goodness she is so hardy ... she suffered some scratches and was up and about the next day! I wish I had her good health.

Auntie Henrietta and Uncle Bernie, I really love the Brainy Baby (left-brain and right-brain) DVDs you sent me. The vibrant colours, interesting spinning objects and different patterns are really neat. Daddy plays it at 1/2 speed sometimes so I get more time to watch all the fun activities. They kept me entertained at the hospital today. Thank you very much.

Emma, what a bummer your Mummy didn't get the posting to Singapore. I was looking forward to having you here ... and perhaps learning some French. I, too, like poking my little fingers through the many holes in my caterpillar book and seeing them poke out at the other side.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

Great to see you're enjoying the Hungry Caterpillar. It's one of my all time favourites. My Mum always used to say that if I ate all my veges I'd turn into a beautiful butterfly. But perhaps you're smarter than I was? :-)

Hope you're still fending off those bugs.

Lots of love
Brigitte

2:10 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

I haven't written for a while, I'm sorry. I was very busy at Shonagh's birthday party last weekend, so I'm a bit tired tonight; but I know you must be much more tired than me!

I hope you keep feeling better after the transfusions, and that you start wanting to eat more.

Maybe your Mum or Dad can sing to you to help you go to sleep? My Dad's got a terrible voice, so I pretend to like his singing, but it's so bad it helps me go to sleep quickly!

Love from
Hannah

5:59 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home