Another round of chemo ...
The visit to the doctor today yielded both good and not-so-good news.
The good news is that my counts are up (just past 1) and my platelets count has exceeded the normal range (maybe I can become a donor myself - just kidding!). My doctor says my bone marrow has bounced back quickly and is strong. It seems such a pity to have to replace it with a new one (I hope it will be even better).
The not-so-good news is that although my body is ready for a bone marrow transplant (BMT), the doctors haven't yet selected the best cord blood and there are no BMT rooms available at the moment so while waiting for the preparations to be done, I'll have to go through a third round of chemo starting tomorrow (my doctor was going to admit me today but we weren't prepared for it at all ... I left my toys and pillows at home!). They refer to this as "holding chemo" - holding those few remaining pesky Leukaemia cells at bay while I wait for my BMT. Fortunately, it is only for 5 days this time.
One of my favourite nurses (I call her Aunty Katherine) got me four very cool lift-the-flap books. I still enjoy flipping through the pages so have not ripped the flaps off like I did with my other lift-the-flap books!
Thanks Jane, for the yummy basket of Parisian cookies, chocolates and jam. Since my counts are good, I'm going to ask Mummy to let me have some French crepes. Hmmm ...
I feel really lucky to have people sending me all these gifts. For me, receiving your messages of support is one of the best gifts of all, since it keeps my spirits high for the battle ahead. Andrew, I don't know about the Tour de France yet, but I do like seeing bicycles (and motorcycles too!!).


4 Comments:
Dear Ian,
Just as well you are not in nz at the moment... Terrible flu is going around and I've got it...
It is not nice at all.
Hmmm, not nice that you have to go through another round of chemo,
but i know you are such a strong boy that you will be all right this time, too. Hope you don't have to vomit, though.
Does the doctor know when will be the BMT, or is it up to when he/she finds a mathcing bone marrow?
We KNOW you are fine, but we keep crossing our fingers for you.
You may be frustrated. We think you are extermely patient and strong, and your parents and families are, too.
Well, 5 more days to be in hos and make sure you keep all your pillows with you including 'Hannah' and 'Shonagh'.
Sorry, it must be hard to read this letter. This time nobody is to check mum's terrible English with lots of spell + grammar mistakes as dad is now in Japan.
He will be back tomorrow and we are expecting lots of nice presents!
Keep smiling :)
Love
Hannah
4:07 pm
Hang tough little Ian, you are doing very well. Many uncles and aunties will be praying for you, so you keep on smiling for your Mommy, Daddy and Grandma ok.
God bless you
Uncle Ed
10:51 am
Ian dearest,
Your mommy told me you are pretty 'happy chappy' at the moment, hee. We're very glad to hear that. Fine job that u are doing!
You're really an international man - what with so many wonderful people sending you their love & best wishes from all over the globe! yayy!
We are praying for you every day. I have also asked the lovely angels to protect you in a golden light so the bad infections won't get at you! Take care Ian, all the best for this round!
Love
Aunty Sharon
5:38 pm
Dear Ian,
I am sure you will get well and be stronger and fitter then before. I am looking forward to your eventual recovery!
uncle fang yih
5:45 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home