I'm back at home
The blood culture test came back negative and my fever has subsided so I've been discharged this afternoon. My counts are still low but they are expected to pick up soon as my appetite has improved.
I'm happy the hospital stay was comparatively short ... Daddy was happier because he can have a better night's sleep. The relatively larger particles in the nutrition bag set off the alarm in the IV machine every minute throughout the night and Daddy had to reset it each time. In the second round of chemo, I also had a lot of problems with the drugs not flowing properly through Mr Hickman. There seems to be some sort of kink in the tubes inside me that is causing a jam. The nurses and Mummy have tried massaging my neck where the kink seems to be, and it sometimes works. I hope to get it fixed before I start the Bone Marrow Transplant, as that will require a lot of more stuff flowing through Mr Hickman, and I don't think PICC can spare a nurse to massage me all the time (although I wouldn't complain ... can I request for Nurse Dixie, please). I am hoping they don't have to take Mr Hickman out and replace him (Uncle Stephen - I don't care to have a Mr Owens or a Mr Bradbury instead!).
It sounds really cold over there in New Zealand. When I got my chills, I was shivering even though the air-con temperature was raised from 23 to 27 degrees. I can't imagine -3 degrees.
Nate, the Sesame Street and Thomas the Tank Engine CDs are great. Now I don't have to sit in the car to wait for passing MRT trains! The animal book is fun too. I like the "oink" sound the pig makes.
Thank you Aggie Porpor, for the cuddly Molly bear. I did feel like sinking my teeth into it while I watched Mummy put it away with the other soft toys. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to play with soft toys because they can't be cleaned. (Mummy says I can play with them when I am well again.)
Maria Porpor, thanks for bringing the dancing Elmo all the way from the US. I like the way he swings his arms to the music. So cool!


5 Comments:
Hi Ian,
You are surely a brave boy. Steve and I and all of your daddy and mom's friends in California are thinking of you.
Get well soon!
Love,
Steve and Nancy
2:25 am
Hi Ian,
This is Ella in Auckland. YOu came to visit us when you were in NZ and rode on my rocking horse, do you remember? I've been asking my mum to write to you for AGES but she has been a bit shy about blogging. We have been reading about your life with Mr Hickman though. You are so brave, I would be very miserable to be in hospital as much as you have been. We all hope you get well soon.
Love Ella and Andrew and Sarah
9:05 am
Hi Ian,
sounds like you have been through quite a bit these 2 weeks when I am away.. but glad you are happily back at home now :)
I will be back at work tomorrow, do drop by and visit me when you next come to see Prof okay?
stay cheerful & smiley.. :)
auntie shuhui
12:23 pm
Hi Ian
Yes it is cold in New Zealand! 27 degrees sounds so hot!
Glad to hear you are home for a bit. There's nothing like you're own bed and surroundings when you've been away for a while.
Keep positive!
Love
Brigitte
4:42 pm
Hi ian your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on stem cell from umbilical cord blood I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to I'm back at home, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about stem cell from umbilical cord blood. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
10:15 am
Post a Comment
<< Home