Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Update at doctor's

I saw my doctor today and had a full blood count done. My neutrophils count is only 0.19 so everyone at home is taking extra efforts to keep very clean. In the meantime, my temperature is fluctuating ... and keeps getting close to the point where I have to be admitted back to hospital. This is keeping Mummy and Daddy on their toes.

My platelet count, though below the expected range, is currently sufficient to do without another transfusion. You may not know it, but today is "World Blood Donor Day" (see www.wbdd.org). To my platelet and blood donors, I cannot thank you enough for your precious gift and time. I have had several platelet transfusions and three blood transfusions to-date (although still much less than most of the other AML patients in the hospital).

Ella, it is so nice to hear from you. I do remember watching you (jealously) on your rocking horse. Now I have my own blow-up rubber horse, thanks to Rob from Japan. It is called "Rody". Actually, I got the idea from seeing Shonagh bounce around the house on hers. Apparently, it is an essential item in Japan. I think it is a must-have for all young kids - it always makes me laugh.

I got your lovely drawings in the mail, Hannah and Shonagh. It's interesting Hannah, that your drawings resemble mine - we do have something in common, in addition to our teething woes!

Harriet and Joseph, I was very touched to receive the book your granny from South Africa made for me. I like the feel of the cross-stitched pictures - it's different from feeling normal pictures on paper. Thanks also for the nursery rhymes CD which I like to listen to while I am eating. Daddy misread the title of the last song ... he read it out as "The Dance of Puke" instead of "The Dance of Puck", perhaps to better reflect my eating behaviour of late!

Aunty Monica, thanks for the Miffy card (where did you find it? I love Miffy!), the big cheery flower and book.

Aunty Karen, Badges the TY beanie dog looks very much like the ones which past my house every evening on their daily walks (however, I have to wait to play with him, and them, until my counts go up).

Aunty Eleanor, thanks for the CD. The story is a bit advanced for my age but I hope to understand it when I get older. Meanwhile, I'm having loads of fun spinning the CD in its case!

Aunty Janice, I like the huge animal prints on the outfit you got me but I need to eat heaps before I can fit into the singlet cos it's a tad too wide. Maybe that was the point!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

I’m part way reading thru Lance Armstrong’s book about his fight with cancer. He had yucky chemo as well (and named his cat “Chemo” afterwards). It made me think. Once you’ve got your cancer licked you have to pester your Daddy to get you a bike. Don’t muck around with trainer wheels. Your Dad once bet one of our country’s best cyclists in a race. I reckon some of those genes have been passed on so trainer wheels would be a wate of time. I can see you now in a cute yellow jersey cresting a mountain col in the French Alps. Allex, allez, allez.

Love Andrew and Jo

6:57 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

I have been watching your progress and saying a prayer for you every day. I am so happy to see how well you are going at the moment. You and your mummy, daddy, granny and grandad truly are very brave indeed. You are always in my thoughts little man.

Love always
Caroline

7:39 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

Thanks for all your updates. I think about you and your family lots and lots. Glad the test results are looking promising. You're fighting this so well and being so brave.

Love
Brigitte

2:44 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home