Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Results of bone marrow tests

The visit to the doctor was a good one. My counts are relatively good so I don't need a platelet or blood transfusion today. I also got the results of the bone marrow tests and bone biopsy. The overall results seem to indicate that the cancer is in complete remission (in contrast to the preliminary results obtained last week, which are much harder to interpret). I am still awaiting the results of another test called MRD (Minimal Residual Disease) which is a lot more sensitive. So once my body has recovered from this round of chemo, I will have to be sedated again for more bone marrow tests and bone biopsy (to be sure).

I heard from the doctors that there are a few suitable cord blood donors so more tests will be carried out to select the best one for my "bone marrow transplant". Cord blood is favoured over bone marrow these days as it is easier to find a match and it reduces the risk of graft versus host disease.

I have not regained my appetite since I started chemo #2. I eat only a fraction of my normal intake. I've lost some weight and the nurses all say it shows. I hope to put it back on once I stop this vomitting and ongoing feelings of nausea. In the meantime, Mummy and Daddy are putting on weight cos they finish all my leftovers (which is a lot as they offer me a variety of stuff each time)!

Brigitte, thanks for the box of presents. There were so many goodies in it and I had a fantastic time taking them out of the box one by one. I like flipping the pages of UK gossip magazines you got for Mummy ... there are so many colourful pictures! The books are also really cool. It's a pity I didn't have a chance to see you on your recent trip to Singapore as previously planned. You must come to visit when I am well again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

That is great news today! You are a tough boy. I am sorry I haven't written before but I have been checking your blog every day. I even showed it to a couple of girls I know. One of them said you were "beautiful" and the other said you were "cute." But your lady admirers in this blog have nothing to worry about because these girls are far too old for you. One of them is 24 times your age! And the other one doesn't say any more.

I think of you and your mum and dad every day and think you are all doing a great job. And thank you very much for writing this blog.

I live in Japan and in Japan "o dai-ji ni" means get well soon, so O DAIJI NI!

11:18 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian, I've never met you, but you are a very brave boy. You are also lucky to have such great parents! I'm glad you're in remission. Keep up the good work!

I know that we are supposed to keep our posts fairly lighthearted, but I just want to say one thing. When you grow up, Ian, you're going to come back and read this blog and realize just how lucky you are. Even though you don't know what's happening to you right now, or why, your parents are making it possible for you to one day enjoy swimming, dating, watching movies, eating Malaysian noodles, traveling to Iguazu falls, even visiting the beautiful place in Peru where your mummy claims she felt like she had been there before! So, you have a lot to look forward to after your recovery.

Even though you have no idea of the danger you are in, your parents do know that danger full well, and yet they are also able to shield you from that danger with their love. Ok, I know, enough sentimental rubbish. I think you are a very cute boy, and you also look like a trooper, so I know you can make it.

Love, Uncle Ben.

2:36 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,
There are lots of people, from many different countries, who have you in their thoughts daily and who are wishing very fervently that you have better days soon and can enjoy playing with all your new things. I'm sure that with all that tempting and lovingly prepared food you'll soon have your appetite back.

Is the cord blood donor likely to be a family member?
But meanwhile enjoy the pampering!

Love,
Margaret and Bob

6:21 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Ian,

What a strong boy you are!
We all are so happy to know that the result of the test was a good one!
Your appetite will be back soon as you are now at home and your mum's homemade yummy stuff is available anytime :)
I strongly agree with what 'ben' said in his comment; you should keep this blog and read it when you are old enough to understand it. You know, you may have missed a few of the fun activities that a boy about your age normally has, but instead you have got a huge thing. Not many young ones know how every day is precious, and you certainly will do.
Keep your pillows, too. They are co-fighters of yours and have gone through hard time with you (puked on, bitten etc).
We keep crossing our fingers for more good results.

Lots of love

Hannah

5:59 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

That's very good news about your test results! If you were one of my students I'd give you an A+.

Good luck for the BMT stuff. Hmmm, if you just change 1 letter you've got a BLT, which is quite nice.

Best wishes

Aaron

6:18 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home