Saturday, July 09, 2005

Update at doctor's again

I have had two doctor's visits since I last blogged a week ago, one on Monday and one today. My Neutrophil counts are still low, but my other counts are ok. (My platelet count has exceeded the expected range and my haemoglobin level is still acceptable so I don't need any transfusions).

I'm very thankful that I've been free of infection so far after my third round of chemo. If all goes well and my counts pick up over the weekend, I'll be going in for round four early next week. This is a repeat of round three. The doctors want to condition my body as much as possible for the BMT without too many side effects. (Andrew & Jo, it's like doing day rides to prepare for the Tour de France). Fingers crossed everything will be smooth sailing.

I'm very sad to hear that my good friend (he is four months older than me and was admitted for a BMT two months ago) is in ICU today. Unfortunately, he has had a number of complications, multiple infections and didn't engraft. He is scheduled for a second BMT in 10 days and I'm praying hard that it will be successful this time. I'm looking forward to when the both of us get cured so we can enjoy what each normal kid does. I can't wait to play rugby with him and Nate (please don't rip my ears off!). Buddy, you are a strong warrior and I'm thinking of you all the time.

Aggie Porpor, the large chocolate brownie decorated with Elmo and flowers was very timely as I turned 15 months on Sunday. My counts were probably very close to zero so I wasn't allowed to have any cake (everything I eat has to be freshly and thoroughly cooked, and eaten within 30 minutes). Still, it didn't stop me from leaving my mark on it ... I couldn't stop poking the marzipan flowers and Elmo! As you might expect, I kept yabbling "Elmo", "cake" and "flower" the rest of the day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ian!

I'm very thankful too to hear of the positive update! Glad to know that you've been keeping those infections at bay. Keep up the brilliant job!

And WOW Ian I heard you've finished all yr books and have totally run out of stuff to read? You sure are a real avid reader! Your mommy tells me you've stopped ripping the pages apart too? Ok looks like it's time to get you more, young Professor. Picture books with real photos are cool, yes?

Good luck for your coming round of chemo this week dear! I'll be wishing your good friend all the best as well. You take care :)

with love n light,
aunty sharon

4:45 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home