Saturday, June 25, 2005

End of third round of chemo - Back at home

This round of chemo was relatively short - just four days. I was given only one drug but at 30 times the dosage (of the same drug) compared to the previous two rounds. My appetite has been affected and I am not so keen on meat or fish again - but so far it has not been as bad as the last two rounds. Maybe I am getting used to it.

My doctor had some good news to share before I was discharged ... comparing the final results of the bone marrow aspirate, bone biopsy (trephine) and flow cytometry tests, the leukaemia is now classified as being in complete remission after round one of chemo (which means the leukaemia cells are few and far between). I am now waiting to get the results from the tests after my second round. My doctors want me to have no detectable leukaemia cells before starting the bone marrow transplant, which will improve my chances. They can afford to do this, given I take the chemo well. This also means I will have a further bone marrow aspirate done after my counts come back up. I wonder how they will try to sedate me this time? I will keep in mind your different suggestions - however, listening to economics is probably too risky since it may also put the doctors to sleep and the problem with eating chocolate is that I am not allowed to eat or drink four hours before the procedure!!

Being confined to a hospital bed most of the time means I haven't had much chance to learn how to walk. I love the freedom to move around when I am at home. I'm having fun trying to stand on my own and tonight, I just about managed to stand on my head by pushing my legs up into the air with my head buried in my pillow.

I was given a rare treat today. It's the start of the weekly rehearsal for Singapore's 40th National Day parade. Mummy and Daddy took me to one of the parks near the Padang to see the fly past of Super Puma helicopters (one of them was carrying a massive flag) and F-16s fighter jets. Tonight, I will dream about the impressive "aerobatics" and the thundering sounds which the F-16s made flying close to the ground and just over our heads.

Jessica, Shirley and Jun, thanks for the lovely card and the bright giraffe you sent.

Hannah, I hope you have gotten over your nasty flu which seems to be sweeping New Zealand. There is one going around here too, so Mummy, Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa have to be extra careful to avoid any unnecessary contact with others at the moment.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

Congrats for being in complete remission! All of us are so happy to hear the news! Hope your appetite will be back soon. Yes, you are doing very well in chemo, so we are sure you will have a successful BMT :) Why not?

My flu is better but now it seems Shonagh is getting it. Poor old thing had a ballet production last night and had to go out into a miserable wet night, which I am sure has enhanced her flu bugs well.

Please take care.
Looking forward to hearing more good news, and we know we will ;)

Love

Hannah

5:39 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

I'm really glad to hear the good news from your tests, keep up the good work!

I love planes too and I spend a lot of time flying them on my computer. Which makes my wife a bit grumpy sometimes. I've never seen an F16 flying, it must be very exciting!

Good luck for the BMT .. we'll be reading & wishing it goes well.

Aaron

2:08 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,

You are very brave and strong. I'm so proud of you. Hope to see you and your cute little smile soon.

Luv,
Aunty Jan

5:33 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home