BMT: Day 10
I was feeling a bit better today as I only vomitted twice in the morning and my diarrhea seems to have cleared. I still feel bouts of nausea, so I am not trying to eat anything just yet.
I was rudely awakened 3 times today for procedures - nasal aspirate, chest X-ray and platelet transfusion. I was so annoyed that according to Mummy and Daddy, I actually said "no" loudly in my sleep this afternoon!
My chest X-ray showed my lungs are normal and the results of the nasal aspirate cleared me of the known nasty viruses. My transplant doctor said I probably have a cold virus which is not so worrisome. The weekly IVIG should help me fight off this virus as my body has practically no immunity of its own. My total white blood cell count today was 0.24 (the normal range is 6.00 - 12.00) and my neutrophils count was a measly 0.08, which is around the same levels as they have been over the last few days.
My doctor told me I am susceptible to heart failure (for another 2 weeks) from fluid retention so the doctors ordered more medicine to make me pee the excess. I guess I am looking a little puffy in the face for someone who hasn't eaten anything for two weeks.
Thank you Aunty Ida and Uncle Tony for the cool All Blacks rugby ball and kiwi-bird. I'm going to have fun throwing the rugby ball from my bed while everyone else dives around the room to save it falling onto the floor (thus saving it from needing to be "Septanoled" - the 70% Methylated Spirit disinfecting solution everyone uses at the hospital).


2 Comments:
Dear Ian,
We hope you continue to feel a little better each day.
I guess you'll have Mummy and Daddy worn out diving to catch the ball you throw.
Love
Aunty Margaret & Uncle Bob
7:26 am
Hi Ian
It's never too early to start rugby practice! It's great to hear that you're feeling a little bit better. I'm sure you'll feel like eating porridge very soon. You definitely sound more cheerful today. Although I imagine I'd be grumpy too if someone woke me up and tried to vacuum my nose.
Thanks for all the updates & take care.
Aaron
10:01 am
Post a Comment
<< Home