Sunday, September 11, 2005

BMT: Day 6

I developed a fever yesterday afternoon that I thought was just temporary but it persisted and got worse today. The preliminary results indicate an infection, but we don't know yet what type. I started on antibiotics this morning. I had to have multiple blood cultures done today to try to determine what the infection might be, and how it is changing. They ended up taking out all the blood that I had been given the day before. As a result, I had another blood transfusion today, as well as a platelet transfusion. I hope it will be sufficient to last for a few days, but I also know with an infection, my body just eats up platelets. Mr Hickman was accessed a total of 8 times today and that is not good because with each access, it increases my risk of (a further) infection. I found out that all the 6 patients at the PICC ward have a fever at the moment, so I wonder if there is a common cause.

I felt really uncomfortable today with the high fever. I had the chills at one point and Mummy had to put an electric blanket on me to stop me shivering. I also had abdominal pains. My diarrhea and vomitting had not improved, so the doctor decided to try a third anti-puke medication (the strongest one). This one tends to make me sleepy. When I was awake, I could not be comforted with any books, DVDs or toys. I did perk up for a few minutes in the afternoon though when I spotted a bubble travelling down one of the IV lines. I always see the nurses getting rid of air bubbles in my lines if they spot them. I impressed the nurse today by holding up my line and pointing to a small bubble that I had spotted in my line and telling her "Bubble".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,
Its great that you are keeping up with the blog on a daily basis. I read it each day to find out how you are. Your red and sore bottom doesnt sound good. I hope things improve soon.
Love Suzanne

12:46 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian

Not much fun at the moment for you is it? You and your family are so brave - I take my hat off to you all. What amazing strength you all have.

I hope that infection goes away soon and that you feel a bit less miserable. And that Mr Hickman gets left alone for a bit!

How exciting about the lovely apartment. That will give you something to look forward to.

Hang in there, you're being a real trooper.

Lots of love
Brigitte

3:43 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,

Sorry I haven't written for a while. You are fighting your infection hard I can see!

I know you're a clever boy, that's why you can help the nurses find bubbles in your lines!

Your drugs are making you feel bad, but they will help you get better, so my Dad says your sore bottom and diarrhoea and things are part of getting better.

It's going to be fun to see your new apartment - your Uncle Alvin and Aunty Peiqi are very kind!

I'll write again soon.

Love, Hannah.

7:11 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home