BMT: Day 20
I have engrafted! In fact, my first day of engraftment was on Friday, 23 Sept (Day 18). There was apparently a manual count done on my full blood count test (usually done by machine) on Friday which was not recorded on the chart until today when my transplant doctor checked. My transplant doctor said the average time taken to engraft (for cord blood transplants) is 28 days so it was a nice surprise, given I was feeling rather miserable the last few days.
I am distressed that my vomitting bouts have returned since yesterday. I am just beginning to want to have some milk (an ounce) but can't seem to hold it down. My blood pressure is on the high side which makes it a cause for concern because it can lead to serious complications post-BMT. The doctors are watching it closely and I may need to start on hypertensive medication now to bring my blood pressure down.
It was good to see Great-grandma, my grandaunts and granduncles today (I'm talking about real relations now!) although I wasn't in the best of moods. I still have my cold and was lacking in energy when they came to see me but they cheered me up a bit.
Poor Daddy has a swollen ankle from doing jumping jacks ... he was trying to distract me from grinding my teeth (I have 16 of them now) and risk biting myself again. I think he looks more amusing hopping on one leg than doing jumping jacks!


5 Comments:
Hi Ian,
That's really great fantastic news about the engraftment! I hope you can satisfy the other sufficient conditions soon!
Take care
Aaron
3:41 am
Congratulations. Hope you can go to your new home soon.
Love Emma
3:55 am
Great news that you have engrafted. Another step in the right direction. I blame your Dad for your lack of appetite - he always had strange eating habits and I suspect its very hard to feed weetbix by IV. I really hope you get an appetite soon. There's a world of yummy things out there just waiting to be eaten.
Love Andrew and Jo
5:51 am
Congrats Ian!
The engraftment is certainly great news! Let's hope your appetite will come back soon ya.
DN.
2:00 pm
Congratulations Ian!! Glad to hear the wonderful news! Looking forward to dropping by to see your cute smile again tmr :) meanwhile, i hope you feel better and start eating well. Take care!
Love
aunty sharon
10:16 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home