Saturday, September 17, 2005

BMT: Day 12

My nausea seems to be gone. I did not vomit at all today. I had my first "food" this evening, which was 17 ml of rice-water! I decided to be brave and asked for "Milk" after that, but the doctor had advised against it after a fortnight of not eating, so I will have to wait another day or two. Although my diarrhea was back today, it was not as bad as the earlier episodes.

I was given some extra oxygen last night while I was sleeping and today my breathing was better. However, I lost my voice as my nose dried up, and Mummy said I sounded a bit like Darth Vader. The apparent ulcers emerging on my tongue have not developed into actual ulcers so far, so with a lot of "tooth brushing" I still have a chance to be only the second person my transplant doctor has known not to develop mouth ulcers post transplant. My blood pressure had been high for the last few days and my doctor was going to order me on hypertensive drugs today ... fortunately, it came back down last night and today so all I needed was just the medicine to make me pee the excess fluid so I don't get heart failure from cardiac overload.

I seem to have loads of energy these days. I'm sleeping much less than normal. I woke up from a very short afternoon nap a few moments after a young girl took my balloons that Aunty Shuhui stuck outside my window yesterday. I keep a watchful eye on them, even in my sleep! Daddy had to go and rescue them so I might go back to sleep, but by that stage I was already wide awake by the drama.

The annual mid-autumn festival has arrived. This evening, a group of children at the hospital, along with volunteer medical social workers (MSW), held lanterns and walked around the huge playground next to my window. I was really envious as I could only watch from my room as they brushed their lanterns against my window. Well, one of the MSWs who saw me watching them from my window came by afterwards to give me a lantern in the shape of an aeroplane - I had a beaming smile after that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home