Monday, September 26, 2005

BMT: Day 21

I had a bone marrow test and bone biopsy done this morning. (I was also given a platelet transfusion at the same time because my platelet level had fallen to 10). It is routine for BMT patients to do 3 bone marrow tests (on Day 21, Day 60 and Day 100) to find out what is happening in the bone marrow and how well the new stem cells have engrafted. I had an additional sedation drug today which has a calming effect so it wasn't too difficult for the doctors to get me to cooperate this time.

I heard today that it is common for some to lose their appetite for months after BMT. They eat little bits of food and are very selective of what they eat as the conditioning chemo (mine was given from day minus 13 to day minus 1) alters the taste buds. Mummy & Daddy are hoping I won't take that long to regain my appetite because I need the nutrition for a speedy recovery. Assuming I don't puke up tonight, my total food intake today is 118ml of milk ... this is a new record since 3 September! (Still, it's a far cry from the large amounts of porridge I used to eat ... 400ml at each meal!)

Thank you for all your well wishes. It certainly keeps my spirits up to get your messages.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

it seems things look much more rosy than they did two weeks ago. We hope that you regain your appetite soon. Otherwise you might miss out all the Christmas cookies that wil be distributed soon!

All the best from Niklas & Simon

4:09 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hope you continue to get better and improve. You are in our prayers. DJS Las Vegas

1:47 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Ian,

Its great, you are recovering day by day. Hey I pray that soon you soon start eating porridge serving much much more than 450 ml. HaHa.

Then we will have eating competition with uncle yousuf who boasts that he eats much more than 450ml porridge every time. haha looking forward to it....

Divine Blessings

Yousuf

11:49 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home