Thursday, September 29, 2005

BMT: Day 24

I had a very special visitor today. She is a Professor at Duke Hospital in the US. Apparently, she was the first doctor to use cord blood for an unrelated stem cell (bone marrow) transplant. She was invited to be part of the inauguration of the Singapore Cord Blood Bank (the opening ceremony was yesterday). She said I looked well and because I didn't have any problems (thankfully), she didn't stay more than a couple of minutes. It was a good sign, I guess.

My appetite is slowing improving. I actually asked for milk a few times today although my total intake was still a far cry from the ideal. Still, it's very encouraging, especially when I'm preparing to go home tomorrow.

Everyone is busy preparing for my discharge tomorrow (fingers crossed). Mummy has been attending these sessions on how to care for me post-BMT and taught how to keep Mr Hickman clean and patent. Mummy will be my nurse at home - flushing my lines and cleaning my Hickman's exit site. I hope Mummy lets me play with the syringes, tape and the swab sticks like I get to in hospital!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home