BMT: Day minus 2
I had my last dose of chemo today (hopefully for the rest of my life) and it was also the worst chemo I've had. It was a new drug which I have not had in the past, and only consisted of one dose (fortunately), as it was a strong one. I puked up more than a dozen times and big time too. I have never vomitted so much before. (This was probably more than the total number of times I puked up over the past 4 rounds of chemo.) I couldn't even hold my oral medicine down (after repeated attempts). I felt like vomitting even though there was literally nothing left for me to throw up. I was given another new and stronger anti-puke medicine and that didn't work either. So my transplant doctor ordered anti-puke medicine #3 tonight. I hope it works cos I feel wretched and I can't keep my oral medicines down which I need to take (let alone any food or water).
I was also given the rabbit anti-human thymocyte globulin (to kill my T-cells) through IV over 6 hours. As the reactions to this rabbit plasma drug can be dangerous (I overheard one nurse telling another to "get the adrenaline ready ..."), I had to be hooked up to a vital signs monitor which I detested. It wasn't that accurate anyway because I kept moving my legs (I was desperately trying to kick those wires off) which made the alarm go off every few minutes as the readings were abnormal. Thankfully, I didn't have a very bad reaction but did develop a fever (my doctor warned me most people develop a fever; often high) which has since subsided.
I have another dose of "Peter rabbit" (that's what I call the rabbit plasma) tomorrow and hopefully, I would have stopped vomitting by then. All these drugs are to get me ready for my transplant on Monday morning.
Uncle Andrew and Aunty Serene, I really like the 2 books you got me today. It was a nice surprise when Grandma brought them to me this evening. The colours and pictures are so vibrant and they were a great distraction from the discomfort I was feeling. Thank you very much.


2 Comments:
Hi Ian
Whoa, sounds like you had a very rough day. Puking really sucks. I got norovirus last year and puked for 2 days, so I have some idea of how glum you might feel right now. Needless to say, what you're going through is a lot tougher than some measily virus.
But as you said it's hopefully the last chemo ever, so stay strong for just one more day ... You and Mummy & Daddy have done a fantastic job.
All the best for the BMT tomorrow ... Unfortunately I can't be there to watch through the big glass windows, but I'll be thinking of you!
Aaron
7:13 am
Hi Ian,
We all wish you the best luck on Monday. We are sure that you can make it.
Shirley and Jun
5:14 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home