Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Counts stable

My transplant doctor is happy with my FBC results today because my platelet level had remained above 20 for 7 days without a transfusion. My haemoglobin level is also stable, so I didn't need any blood transfusion. I just had my usual weekly IVIG, which will hopefully, help me fight off my little cold (I've had it for more than a month now) because my runny nose and phlegmy cough is making me puke up my porridge and cereal. My new bone marrow should gradually start to produce more platelets over time.

Meantime, I (and everyone else) am on the watch out for signs of GVHD (Graft-versus-host-disease). This affects many people post-BMT so I have a good chance of getting it too. Actually, my doctor wants me to get some GVHD since it leads to a GVL (Graft-versus-Leukeamia) effect that helps reduce the chance of a relapse. The first signs of GVHD are rashes on the back, ears and hands. It usually occurs in the first six months after transplant, which is why I still have to have medications to suppress my immune system. These mean that if I do get GVHD, it will hopefully be controllable. It is also one reason my doctor will not let me get out and about until six months after tranplant, and why I can't have people visit me at home. I'm not too happy about that!

Speaking of "home", I am still at my old home because the rebuilding next door has been delayed for two weeks, so I won't get to see Uncle Alvin and Aunty Peiqi new apartment for another fortnight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

I know about waiting for builders! I am redecorating at the moment and it takes ages. I went and bought a dishwasher for my flat - because there was a hole for a dishwasher to go in. But guess what? No pipes behind it!! So to put in my dishwasher, I am now having to remodel my kitchen!! But it looks like you'll be moving in before I get my dishwasher!

I'm sorry you still can't have visitors - but it's great you're not in hospital!

Take care!
Love
Brigitte

12:50 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home