First chemo - Day 6
Well, no vomitting today, so I guess it was just that fishy food yesterday. However, I did notice several red spots on various parts of my body which were different from the usual petachiae. I shall remember to ask my doctor tomorrow morning when he does the round.
I realised today just how much I enjoy bathing. It is such a good feeling to splash around in the warm water instead of sitting on the bed all day. What is not-so-much fun is the oral mouth wash I am supposed to do. I have to have a pink fuzzy sponge ball which is coated with foul-tasting concoctions stuck into my mouth (repeated six times) after every meal. Yuk. This is to reduce the bacteria in my mouth to avoid ulcers developing, which can be a serious problem when my immunity is at its lowest. I detest it, although I know the alternative is far worse. The UK protocol, which is the set of drugs I am following for the AML type of Leukemia, is known to be a very intense type of chemotherapy (but also the most successful for treating AML). I have heard plenty of scary stories about what can happen over the next week or so (the second week of each round of chemo), so I am not taking any chances!
I do miss Mr Penguin and Buzzy Bee (they are awaiting my homecoming). There are some huge plastic penguins hanging on the walls in the other children's wards but my isolation room is rather bare except for a few fluorescent stars on the ceiling which I like to point out to Mummy and Daddy. Maybe I can persuade them to allow Mr Penguin to visit me.
Thanks for the lovely cards, and your kind messages of support on my blog. I really look forward to reading your messages each day.


4 Comments:
Hey Ian, sounds like you are doing ok so far. Keep up the good work! Don't worry about those infections. When I visited your parents' apartment, it was cleaner than an average operating theatre. So I'm sure they'll do a great job keeping you healthy!
7:30 am
Hi Ian,
We think about you every day and send our best wishes for your successful treatment.
What a good idea to put stickers all over Daddy's nose. That would have made him look quite different. Hope you don't have any more fishy vomiting either.
Love
Margaret and Bob
7:45 am
Hi Ian,
Every day we look forward to reading your blog and finding out how you have been coping. We think you are the bravest 1 year old! We also admire the strength your parents have got; they must be worried about you a lot, but they are staying so positive and strong! We know that you three together, along with the support you are getting from everyone who loves you, means you will be all right through the treatment you are getting, and you'll cure the AML completely!
keep smiling :)
Yoshi and co
4:34 pm
Hey Ian
You are being so brave. We are all very proud of you. Keep on fighting!
Love
Brigitte
7:03 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home