Thursday, May 05, 2005

First chemo - Day 7

I hope Mummy's super clean habits didn't go to waste because something disasterous happened to Mr Hickman today. While I was sitting on Daddy's lap waiting for Mummy to change my soiled diaper (I just did a big poo), the multi-line connected to Mr Hickman's large port suddenly fell out. None of us noticed it at first until Daddy looked down and saw blood everywhere - on our clothes, the chair, IV machine and the floor. (Mr Hickman is like an open vein as he has been tunnelled into my pulmonary vein.) I am not sure how long the port was exposed and where it came into contact. It was strange that it could have fallen out since it is screwed in, and I am not that nimble with my fingers yet to unscrew it. We are hoping I won't get a bacteria infection as a result of it. The nurses are watching me more closely and looking out for any onset of fever for signs of infection. (The girl in the isolation room next to mine was moved to the Intensive Care Unit this morning because her ability to fight bacterial infection was pretty much zilch. This is the second next-door neighbour since I've been here who has been shipped off to ICU.)

On a happier note, I was very active today and enjoyed seeing lightning flashes from the window and hearing the roars of thunder while Mummy fed me cereal for afternoon tea. I said "thunder" after one of the thunder claps and that made Mummy and Daddy cheer (they are easily pleased!). I am happily counting down the days to go home. If I stay as well as I was today, then I only have three days left here for this round of chemo. Yeah. The one thing I will miss is the wonderful team of doctors and nurses who have been fussing over me. Thank you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah! blood everywhere must have freaked everyone out! mr hickman wants some adventure? haha he betta not do that again! Hope you're doing fine now.. and *claps* for you.. you can say thunder when you are only 1 yr +!! i don't think i know that much words at your age! keep it up.. take great care k~~

1:52 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure are a cutey but a fighter too young Mohammad Ali, just like your old man. We are very proud of you for each tough round that your winning. Sure, sometimes its gonna get messy but that makes the clean times great fun.
Its 4am here in tokyo but it would be kooler if I could assist somehow at 4am where you are. In the mean time our love and thoughts are of you and your mum and dad. "Thunders" the key little man.
PS: Im not keen on fish sometimes too either. Especially if I cooked it. Funny that, I think your fathers probably the same. When your much better then maybe he could make some nice spaghetti for you. Please invite me too. Go for gold Ian.
Lv...JAY & Tomomi

2:45 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home