Sunday, May 08, 2005

First chemo - Day 10

I finished my first round of chemo today ... yah ... but I couldn't have Mr Hickman unplugged ... damn.

The dosages of chemo I am being given is very high. I learnt today I am actually getting three times the dosage that is used in the UK protocol for AML, which is already an intense treatment (this info was not from my Doctor so I need to confirm it with him tomorrow). Thus, I am getting the dosage usually used for those greater than 3 years old with the same Leukemia. It is a trade-off. The strong dosages mean the chances of wiping out my Leukemia is better. On the other hand, the risk to my body is also higher.

Today, I got my first taste of the effects of having very low white blood cell counts. I developed what is known as Neutropenic fever in the morning, as a result of a very low Neutrophils count at 0.19 (Neutrophils are found in the white blood cells which help the body fight infections). The expected range for Neutrophils is 1.00 - 9.50. I was told my counts will go down further (many patients on this treatment hit 0.00) before improving as the chemo drugs basically wipe out all my good cells (hopefully along with the rubbish) in my body.

I've lost count of the number of times I puked up today. I vomitted my lunch all over Daddy and cos he forgot to bring extra clothes, he had to settle for adult patient garment which the nurses kindly provided. Mummy thought he looked really funny as they were a tad too short everywhere (Daddy is over 6 feet tall) so Daddy confined himself to my room! At times I also was really hot and at other times (within the same hour) I felt just normal. They nurses call it fever "spikes". I'm also losing my appetite.

I am sad that I have to stay in hospital longer. I was hoping my homecoming today would be my present to Mummy for Mother's Day. I heard some patients have Neutropenic fever for 3 weeks, but I am still hoping to be out in a couple of days.

Uncle Alvin told me my computer needs a modem transplant. I don't think my doctors can help with that one ... but he said he knows someone who can. I hope my computer doesn't puke up too.

Niklas, I know you would cope for more than half a day sitting on a hospital bed. The first day or two are the toughest trying to accept the idea you have to stay on the bed, but after a while you forget about all the things you could be doing outside, and just try to enjoy what you can do on a hospital bed.

Thank you JC, for the abundance of cute bibs from the UK and JP for lugging them over and dropping them at my home. They will definitely come in handy on puke days like today.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Ian. You'll be out soon and able to see lots of butterflies, monkeys and other interesting things; even more storms to light up your day. I do remember those in Singapore.
Poor daddy being reduced to mini clothes and poor mummy not having you at home for mothers day.
Hope you have a better day today.
Margaret and Bob

5:03 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian
Sounds like you sure are having some fun in there! Hope you see more butterflies today.
Say hello and best wishes to your Mum and Dad for me.
Moya Dodd

8:40 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian

We had some swan plants last winter and there were lots of green caterpillars that turned into amazing monarch butterflies. Maybe you could get a plant one day to watch them change.

I hope you get home real soon and get to see lots of cool stuff.

Aunty Donna

9:14 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

it's good to know that you have finished your first round of treatment. Hope the after effects wear off and that you will be back home soon. :)

DN.

9:28 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian, sounds like you had a bit of a rough day. But considering that they're giving you 3 times the already-too-strong treatment, you've been doing really well so far! Keep up the good work with playing tricks on Daddy. Sticker on the nose, making him wear a skimpy skirt ... what's the next plan??

11:06 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

Good luck fighting off that fever. I'm sure you'd love to get home for a while.

Lots of love to your Mum on Mothers' Day. I think you have a great one!

Love Brigitte
(Passing through Singapore airport - if you're up tonight and see a plane, I'll be waving at you!)

9:18 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian

You must be super strong to take a dosage so high. Hang in there. It looks like you have heaps of people thinking of you - me and my parents included. It is great that you have such industrious parents so that I can read about what is happening with you. Get well soon.

Bookabar,

Emma

9:46 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home