Tuesday, January 10, 2006

GVHD

My latest bone marrow test results are good and my transplant doctor is happy. However, I now have a mild form of skin GVHD (graft-vs-host disease), which is supposedly good for me since it has been observed that patients who develop GVHD are less likely to have a recurrence of leukaemia (a relapse). This phenomenon is called graft-vs-leukemia.

GVHD is a complication that is observed after allogeneic stem cell/bone marrow transplant. GVHD occurs when infection-fighting cells from the donor recognise the patient's body as being different or foreign. These infection-fighting cells then attack tissues in the patient's body just as if they were attacking an infection, to destroy the tissues.

I have many little spots and rashes all over my body (a bit like eczema) and I complain of itch. As such, my doctor has prescribed some steroid cream to apply on the rashes, as well as an increase in the level of cyclosporine (an immuno-suppressant) to control the GVHD. So far, I seem to be responding to the medication but my immunity is now slightly lowered and I have to be on guard not to come into contact with anyone who is sick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home