Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's 6 months post-BMT!

Today marks an important milestone for me - six months post transplant. I am very happy that I have made it through the first six months without any infection or major problems.

In the meantime, the GVHD rashes on my body and face have got a bit worse, although they tend to come and go. I will see my doctor on Tuesday to see whether we need to do anything more to control them. They are still considered rather mild compared to the more serious effects of GVHD so I don't think she will be too worried about them.

My transplant doctor has sent me an up-to-date article about cord blood transplants for children with AML (i.e. as in my case). The paper was presented at the BMT Tandem Meetings which she just attended. It is written for the layperson so if you are interested to learn more, you may want to visit:
http://www.bmtnewsroom.org/omk.php?pid=1144&sid=S200602091223510F8TSC&pr=1181

As you can tell, I have become rather slack on keeping you updated. I have been too busy running around and having a great time. While I have to avoid the sun, I can still have lots of fun running around shopping malls, the airport, and outside in the evenings. As a result, I now hardly have time to use the computer!

J.J., I wish I could travel and check out other big airports and aeroplanes. Unfortunately, it will be several more months before I can take a flight. Daddy has to make some trips to Europe over the next six months but I have to give them a miss ... Mummy is contemplating leaving me behind! Mummy remembers shopping in Boston and visiting Harvard with Aunty Eunkyung - lots of fun indeed.

Jane, thank you for the books. I like referring to the Sesame Street book each time I watch a DVD on ABCs or shapes. The lift-the-flaps are so much fun ... I've threatened to lift some off completley!

3 Comments:

Blogger aaron said...

Hi Ian,

I'm really happy to hear you're doing so well. Mummy and Daddy must be super happy too. Will your Mummy go to Europe? It might be fun, while she's away you can do all the things she won't normally let you do ... :)

6:04 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian

Congratulations on doing so well. It's great that you have been getting out and about.

If mummy goes to Boston I guess she will have to buy you lots of presents - so I'm sure you would understand. :-)

Take care!
Love Brigitte

2:19 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news Ian. Hope the rashes & sunlight sensitivity improve too.

Can't believe your almost 2! That's awesome. I know it's tough keeping the olds on their toes, but someone's got to do it.

Eric

12:59 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home