Monday, April 17, 2006

More GVHD rashes

Despite increasing the dose of the immuno-suppressant drug, the GVHD rashes on my body are getting worse so I made a last-minute appointment with my doctor today. About 80% of my body is now covered in rashes, which are red and itchy. They are the side effects of my graft (transplanted bone marrow) fighting with the cells in my body because the graft does not recognise them. I look like I have full-blown measles. At the same time, the GVHD causes the skin to dry, so despite Daddy applying an annoying amount of cream on my body, I still have wrinkled-up skin in patches. My doctor decided to increase the dose of the immuno-suppressant again. It is now the same dose as while I was in transplant. I also have got a new cream to apply, which is more powerful than the one I have been using. However, if my condition does not improve over the next few days, I will be prescribed steroids to bring the GVHD under control. Hopefully, things will improve and I can avoid using steriods, which tend to have more side effects than the drug I am on.

I had a lovely surprise over Easter. I really love the green frog on the side of the rubbish trucks here - I always break into a huge smile whenever I spot a frog truck (as I fondly call it) on the road. So, Aunty Letchimi, Aunty May and Uncle Azman got me these really enormous (larger than me!) frog stickers, which are comparable to the ones on the rubbish trucks. I can't wait to put them up on the wall next to my bed. I also got a miniature frog truck, a frog beanie toy, frog magnets and a frog jigsaw! The frogs kept me busy over the Easter weekend ... now the house is littered with pieces of my frog jigsaw as I like dropping them everywhere!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,
Shame about the rashes.I've got plenty of frogs, four whistling frogs and four Bell frogs in two different tanks. The bell frogs are green and the whistling frogs are brown. The whistling frogs are very good at climbing and catching insects. Next time you come to New Zealand come and have a look at them.
love from Uncle Michael

8:51 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home