Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I'm on steroids

I'm sorry I have not posted an entry in the last month.

There wasn't much to update as my GVHD rashes did not really get worse nor improve. Instead, the GVHD kept fluctuating several times, almost getting to the point where I would have to start steroid treatment, but then suddenly improving the day before I visited the doctor. Finally, since they haven't got better for so long, and were recently getting worse again despite the increased dose of the immuno-suppressant drug (Cyclosporine) and aggressive use of a very strong cream, I saw my doctor today to confirm that I will need to start a course of steroids. She said my body was probably getting used to the other drugs. As more than 50% of my body is covered with GVHD rash and since it's already been nine months post-transplant, she didn't want to keep holding off any longer. Hopefully, with steroids, I can get rid of the GVHD quickly. Hence, she has put me on a 4-week steroids course (along with some antibiotics and others as prophylactics). I really hope this course of steroids will be sufficient and thereafter, I wouldn't need any more drugs. I can then look forward to removing my Hickman's line and getting out in the sun to play, not to mention being able to play with other kids!

Uncle Andrew - thanks so much for the World Cup 2006 Adidas soccer ball you got for me specially from Germany. I'm having a great time watching the soccer games and kicking my ball around the house! I like to shout "gooooaaaallllllll" when goals are scored, and support all teams in Yellow (my favourite colour).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home