Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It's One Year Post-BMT!

I had my bone marrow transplant exactly a year ago today. This is a significant milestone. According to my transplant doctor, if I passed the one-year mark (from the day of transplant), it means I am "very safe" from a relapse (this is specific to my case only). It is great news.

However, I still have GVHD and it is taking a lot of steroids and Cyclosporine to try to bring it under control. The new bone marrow (or graft) can take anywhere from 0-2 years to live "in harmony" with the host (recipient). I hope my graft would not take too long to get used to my body since I do not want to have to be on these medicines for another full year.

Since my last post, I have had my friends Nate, Hannah and Keene over. It was a real treat for me, as I cannot attend any playgroups. They liked my playhouse in particular, and I had Keene cook while I served the dishes. Our Daddies did not like our food much, though ... chilli, yoghurt and broccoli do not go too well together, they said!

I am counting down to my surgery on 13 Sept to remove my line (Mr Hickman). After another week (plus another two weeks recovery from surgery), I will no longer need to restrain myself in the bath and I can splash, splash, splash! Hope all goes well in surgery. I will update again after that to tell you what I think of Mr Hickman being gone, given he has become so much part of me over the last 17 months or so.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

I'm really super happy to hear that you're doin so well! Good luck for the operation! I'll be passing thru Singapore next weekend but only in the airport :-( !

Aaron

7:26 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home